Sunday, October 2, 2011

Block lotto blocks for October

This month we are doing quilters choice in blue and cream with some optional brown. In my usual adventurous spirit I decided to use this as an opportunity to try out a few techniques that I have been wanting to experiment with.

A little background about me: I studied electrical engineering at university. I did years of physics and calculus. I was good at this stuff. Really, I was. So, ask me why a 1/4" seam allowance and a few interesting angles can get me so messed up? I'll tell you why - because I try to calculate everything rather than just drawing it on graph paper, that's why.

Enough complaining - the good part is I've learned a few things along the way and some of my blocks turned out pretty good. For example, my first attempt at drafting and then doing paper piecing.



Some string things.




An easy thing.



And a star thing.



My favorite block was inspired by Megan by way of Leanne by way of Lee.



My last one was also paper pieced. I pulled this pattern off of the Quilter's Cache - it's called String Stars.



My hexagon thing was a disaster (note to self: hexagons do not fit inside of squares). It is not fit for public viewing.

No comments:

Post a Comment